Uncommon music criticized by the common man. (Or, exercises in futility masquerading as critical thought.)

Monday, February 28, 2005

As expected, the second night of the Teenbeat 20th Anniversary showcase was much better than the first night, and I missed all of opener Holland (I refuse to do that fruity spelling he uses, mostly because I cannot remember how it's done) and everything but the last song of Hot Pursuit. There has got to be a better way to handle entry into sold out shows.

The rundown:

Aden - Meh. I've never been a big fan.
Flin Flon - Much better than I expected. Makes me question why I don't have any of their albums. I should have picked one up that night. Oh well.
Versus - Another excellent show. Why aren't there more filipinos--or is that Illipinos?--in rock?
Butch Willis - This actually may have been before the Versus set; in any case, it was just a couple of a capella songs, and Butch Willis does even less for me than Johnny Cohen. I'm sure they're swell guys, though.
Tuscadero - Also excellent. They played a lot from their first album and the best tracks from their second album. They also played "Angel in a Centerfold" by the J. Geils Band and their own "Angel in a Half-Shirt" as the encore. I really should write about that first album one of these days. One of the great, overlooked indie pop albums from the era.

It was a great two nights of nostalgia and a bit of discovery. Oh, and some excellent boozing.