Uncommon music criticized by the common man. (Or, exercises in futility masquerading as critical thought.)

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I picked up a couple of records on Monday: Low's The Great Destroyer and Grails' Redlight. I've listened to the Low album a few times already, and will probably put up a review tonight or tomorrow. I will say a couple of things, though. First, it is definitely a departure from their previous work, though not a complete 180 by any means. Nor is the progression entirely unexpected. Second, the album is good, people. Don't let people who are freaked out by the occasional loud guitar dissuade you. I mean, they didn't turn into Candlemass. But, it's still not Long Division, either.

As for the Grails' disc, it, too, is a winner. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but I'm really enjoying it. I think I need to give it the headphone treatment before I can get into a more detailed exploration of its merits. Still, on first impressions, I'd recommend it.