Uncommon music criticized by the common man. (Or, exercises in futility masquerading as critical thought.)

Monday, February 12, 2007

It's 2007. C'mon With The Postings!

Yeah, it's 2007, and it's already off to a whiz bang start. Naturally, I already feel behind, but I can say that things are getting out of the gate fast in the first two months. I can endorse heartily the following (some which haven't seen official release *cough*):

Low Drums and Guns: If you liked the last Low album, or are just willing to ride with the band wherever they go, you should get this when it comes out. The album favors shorter songs, some with an oddly unfinished feel (and may well have been, considering), but still manages to sink its hooks into you from the beginning. Even the use of programmed drums, which doesn't seem right when it comes to this band, feel natural rather than out of place. See if you can find "Sandinista" or "Violent Past" to sample the wares.

Jesu Conqueror: This is good, and may even be great, but doesn't have the benefit of brevity that last year's brilliant Jesu EP has. I honestly haven't listened to this enough because the songs tend to drag toward the middle. Then again, I haven't really had much time/patience for critical listening lately.

Explosions in the Sky All Of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone: One of my favorite bands seems to be in a holding pattern. But if the music is this good, that's not a bad thing. This isn't a giant leap beyond their fantastic last album, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but is not bad in the least. If you're a sucker for this kinda dramatic, crescendo-rock (like I am), then go nuts.

I've also put in some time new albums by Phazm, Rwake, and Minsk. Early judgment is favorable, but I need to give them a few more spins. I'm especially liking the Phazm disc, which seems to have some good hooks and riffs on the disc.