Uncommon music criticized by the common man. (Or, exercises in futility masquerading as critical thought.)

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

So, after work, I picked up the latest from Sonic Youth, Sonic Nurse. (I know, kind of a clunky title.) Anyway, I'm still going through the first spin, but so far, so good. I'm not at a point yet where I can honestly declare the critics overzealous in their praise of the record, but I can say for certain that me rikey. It's funny, Sonic Youth is one of a handful of bands that I always wind up being new albums on the day of its release. Even after the subpar outing that was NYC Ghosts & Flowers. (I still think Pitchfork was way off with the 0.0 rating, though.) I think after I give it a lot more spins, I will write something that resembles a helpful review in this very space...right here...at Musica Generica! *waits for Mick Foley style cheap pop*

Also: a sign of the times we live can be found on the back of this CD's jewel case, as there's now an "FBI Anti-Piracy Warning" label. Frankly, I find this more offensive than the "Parental Advisory" labels that many artists were up in arms about. I wonder how they feel about this?