Uncommon music criticized by the common man. (Or, exercises in futility masquerading as critical thought.)

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Just wanted to say a brief word about a few recent acquisitions:

Pitbull M.I.A.M.I.: This is a nice album. Not surprisingly, the Lil Jon produced tracks are the better ones. I need to listen to it a bit more, to be fair, but that's my assessment so far. What gets lost in Lil Jon's "colorful" personality (thanks in large part to the whole Chappelle's Show bit) is that the man can produce a certified club banger.

Meshuggah Catch ThirtyThree
Strapping Young Lad Alien

I just picked those two up tonight and have only listened to each once, so obviously this is just a first impression: both albums are great. At the moment, I like the SYL album more, simply because it feels more immediate. I will say, I was expecting it to be a lot more brutal and relentless, but Devin Townsend and company have given the music some breathing room, particularly with the near shoegazer-y "Two Weeks", which makes the pummeling sections even more bruising. Plus, Gene Hoglan is a god behind the drums. He's called "The Atomic Clock" inside the CD booklet and boy is that the truth. Even the last track, "Info Dump", which is 11 minutes of mostly noise and static-y feedback, is oddly compelling, though not anything I'd put on repeat.

The Meshuggah disc is also good, but different to my ears. This is because I have only recently become a fan and have gone from the harder edged Chaosphere to this disc. From what I've read, this direction has been in the making over the last few releases. Once again, I hear traces of Helmet in this album, but in a less obvious way. As a matter of fact, there seems to be a lot more going on here than on the other disc. The music feels more nuanced and the bass sounds more prominent, giving the albums more texture and heft.

Passed over tonight: the new NIN disc and the collection of Isis Oceanic remixes. Next time, probably.